Sunday, January 24, 2016

Rugby rallies for ex-Wales star


SINGAPORE — More than a year after sustaining a major spinal injury at the Singapore Sports Hub’s National Stadium while turning out for Cardiff Blues in the inaugural 2014 Rugby World Club 10s, former Wales Under-20 star Owen Williams is set to return here for the first time.
The 24-year-old was paralysed from the neck down, but has regained some movement in his upper limbs in recent months. In fact, he is driving a car that has been modified for his needs. Called the #StayStrongForOws Singapore Week, the campaign is organised by sports events consultant Linda Gordon, who helped out in the running of the Rugby World Club 10s then.
Singapore-based Gordon, who is the director of Eiger Sport & Business Performance, told TODAY that she was inspired to organise this event after being “overwhelmed” by the outpouring of concern for Williams from the local and international sporting community.

“When I chat with people at sporting events, and I tell them I am working on rugby, they remember this young boy who got injured,” said the Briton, who visited Williams at his home in Wales late last year and invited him to the Singapore event.

“People would ask me about his wellbeing, and if there is any way they could help. It is not just from those from the international rugby community, but outside of it as well.

“I see the huge outpouring of generosity and warmth for Owen, and I decided to put my organisational hat on and do something. I approached Cardiff Blues, and I asked if they have any objections if I organise a number of events, and they gave me their blessings. There was, of course, some trepidation as well, because this would be the first time since the accident that Owen will travel back to Singapore, and also travel on a long-haul flight — but we are excited that he wants to come.”

Gordon has been stepping up efforts in the past two months to reach out to individuals and corporate companies that want to help out in the event, including the Singapore Rugby Union (SRU).

“Linda just got in touch with the SRU and, obviously, we will try to support this as much as we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment